Thursday, March 10, 2011

Jen's Sour Cherry & Walnut Scones

My friend Jen makes the most wicked scones and luckily she shared her recipe with me. I've asked her if I could post it on my blog and she said yes! So here we go. Enjoy.

1/4 cup sugar (plus 3 tablespoons)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
3/4 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
2/3 cup buttermilk

In a small bowl, mix 3 tablespoon sugar with cinnamon; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, orange zest and baking soda until well blended. Cut in butter using pastry blender until mixture looks like cornmeal with butter lumps no larger than peas. Stir in cherries and nuts. Add buttermilk and stir until no dry flour is visible; dough will be wet and sticky.

Turn dough out on to a lightly floured board and pat into 1"-thick round. Cut into eight wedges. With a spatula transfer the wedges to a lined baking sheet, spacing 2" apart.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture.


Bake in a 375F oven for 18-20 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Let cool on rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

5 comments:

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

You are too kind. They look wonderful! Makes me want to go make some now! Hmmm, maybe I will do just that. Thanks.

Elisabeth said...

Those look easy enough for me to make! ...and they look absolutely delicious!
Thanks Jen for sharing your recipie and Ronna for posting it with visual aids!

David said...

Ohh these look deelish! I’m allergic to walnuts but I could easily substitute. Coincidentally, I’m making blueberry streusel scones tonight. I just love scones!

Lauren Wilson said...

Im drooling and my stomach is growling! Next time I come to blog read I better make sure Ive eaten first. And I'll have a stash of these on hand! thanks for sharing!

Jack D'Mestiere said...

These are the equivalent of a weapon of mass accumulation in the War on LARD!...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails