Thursday, November 18, 2010

Remembering

My mother died 13 years ago today, November 18, 1997. Whenever the tamaracks start turning golden, as they did a few weeks ago, I think of her. Her wish was to die at home and she spent a great deal of time indoors but on one fine day she asked me to take her for a drive. I asked her where she wanted to go and she said, "Anywhere."


She sat in the passenger seat beside me gazing out the window. We did a big circle on the concession roads and stopped in front of a huge stand of tamaracks that were golden in the sunshine. After about 5 minutes, Mum said, "Please take me home." She never left the house again and died two weeks later. I go to that stand of tamaracks once a year each fall and think of my mum.

8 comments:

Marcia said...

Thank you, sister, for being the best daughter a mother could have. I love you.

Lauren said...

Thank you for this story, Ronna. I loved your mother, too. She was one of a kind and I think of her and your dad often. And now I need a tissue. xoxo.

frannie said...

That is a perfect way to remember her, so personal and real.

Elisabeth said...

Brought tears to my eyes.
Thank you for this story.

L'il Peetah said...

Here's to Lila!

Ronna said...

Hey Peter, that's what Mum called you. L'il Peetah. Funny. You always called her Big Mama! Good memories.

Linda Starr said...

What a wonderful way to remember your mom, I too have tears in my eyes, your love and relationship with your mom shows so brightly like the tamarack leaves glittering in the sunlight.

Knatolee said...

Lovely tribute to your Mum!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails