Monday, January 27, 2014

Cactus and Gecko cake

 I made this cake for friends Gordon and Natalie who share January birthdays. I especially wanted to immortalize Kartini, the gecko, who passed away at the ripe age of 19. We had intended to celebrate her birthday with great fanfare, but sadly it never came to be.

I decided instead to recreated this little creature out of fondant. 
Here's the real critter in Gordon's hands, a photo I downloaded from Nat's blog.


 At any rate, they kept the sugar gecko and we dug into the red velvet cactus.


When I walked out with the cake, Nat thought I was giving her a cactus as a gift! 
What fun. 
Happy birthday you two!

5 comments:

Deb said...

Holy smokes, Ronna. Every cake you bake is better than the last. This one is fantastic. It's nice that the birthday girl and boy can keep part of it to remember their little gecko. That's a nice picture of them. Hope all your kitties are doing well. Brrrrr-it's cold. Stay warm. Hugs, Deb

Elaine said...

Sheer genius!

Pasha's Mommy said...

We saw the cake on Natalie's blog! It is Amazing!!! You're very talented :)

Jenny said...

I thought it was a real cactus!
Just too amazing. And the gecko is terrific, too.

Knatolee said...

You did an amazing job recreating Kartini in fondant! We were so impressed. Thank you again! (And so yummy too,)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails