Monday, May 21, 2012

Glengarry School Days

 I made a cake for the launch of the 50th anniversary of the Glengarry Pioneer Museum.


 It was also the dedication of the recently relocated Big Beaver one-room schoolhouse.


The cake was a fondant replica of the green and white schoolhouse complete with students...

...and a buttercream grass lawn.


Flora Chisholm, one of the original students of the Big Beaver schoolhouse during the 1930s and '40s, looked at the cake and the little faces looking out the windows and said, "Which one is me?"


I'm not sure but perhaps one of these students is Flora?


To kick off the 50th anniversary celebration, famed humourist and journalist Charles Gordon was invited to speak. Here he is with me and the cake, making the first cut.


Charles Gordon is the grandson of Rev. Dr. Charles Gordon whose pen name was Ralph Connor.

Ralph Connor was the best-selling author of some 40 novels in the early part of the last century whose titles included Glengarry School Days and The Man From Glengarry.

Up the Glens!

4 comments:

Knatolee said...

I love that old photo of the schoolchildren. And I've already told you how much I love the cake! :)

Deb said...

That cake is amazing. Great post on the old school. Sure, I'd love to meet you guys. I was even thinking of coming to your art fare if the cat-sitting allows it. We'll work on something soon.

Knatolee said...

Yay Deb!!!

David said...

Your cakes always look too good to eat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails