Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Do-It-Yourself

In yesterday's post I talked about a visit to Jean and Gary's maple operation. As Richard and I left, Jean gave me an ice cream container of maple sap that she had collected from a tree in front of her house.


So today was the start of Ronna's maple operation. I started to boil this pot of sap. When I started this pot was almost full.


I learned from Jean and Gary that maple sap become syrup at 7 degrees above boiling (212F) so I used my trusty candy thermometer to check it.


After 2 hours of boiling and at 219F it looked just like syrup.


So I poured it into a jelly jar...


..and look at that colour!


In the end there wasn't much syrup. The ice cream container on the left was the amount of sap I started with (coincidentally the original flavour of the ice cream was "sugar shack maple.") But I bet my little jelly jar of syrup is going to be delicious.

3 comments:

Addison Dewitt said...

Looks like a lot of work to me. Pass the Mrs. Butterworth's.

frannie said...

And I bet it WAS good. Such devotion makes it even sweeter!

Knatolee said...

That's so cool. I think I heard that 40 litres of sap will yield one litre of syrup. I really want to try this next year!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails