Thursday, May 17, 2007

Andy Warhol's Cats


Last night at Christie's Auction House in New York City, Andy Warhol's "Green Car Crash" (1963) fetched a record $79 million. Last year I saw similar works by Warhol at a show encompassing his Death and Disaster series at the Art Gallery of Ontario. The commentary, which I usually hate, was supplied on headphones by none other than David Cronenberg. In this case, his insights into Warhol and his raison d'etre really enhanced my appreciation for Warhol and his methodology.

In the gift shop, however, his Death and Disaster stuff was pretty hard to find. There were lots of Marilyn Monroe faces on coffee mugs and Chairman Mao change purses. I settled for a sheet of wrapping paper that was simply a repeat of his Campbell's soup cans. How could I resist these? I knew somehow they'd end up as ATCs.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails