Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Full Circle

 My cousin Lizz, who lives in San Francisco, posted this on her Facebook page back in January 2012. She celebrated her birthday with a piece of Mondrian-inspired cake from the Blue Bottle Cafe at the SFMOMA.

I just thought this cake was the cat's meow and I decided I had to try and make it. When was I ever going to get to San Francisco and have a piece?

Since Mondrian's 140th birthday was March 7, 2012, I decided that was the day to try to reproduce this cake. One of my blog's most popular posts ever was my step-by-step Mondrian cake post. It came out okay, but not exactly like the real one!

Flash forward a few months and I get an email from Caitlin Williams Freeman, the cake artist who invented the cake. Someone had pointed out my step-by-step blog and she invited me to visit her if I was ever down that way. And guess what? In late September I was! So...I got to meet her (on my left) along with her head baker Leah Rosenberg (on my right). Oh, and that's my cousin Lizz beside Leah, with her Mondrian bag; she's the reason I saw the Mondrian cake in the first place.


And yes, the cake was fantastic. Even more fantastic to meet the baking gals! Life is so much fun sometimes.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Oh, you are the cake queen..I tell ya.

Sarah said...

Ronna - that is an amazing story! Thanks for sharing it here.

Evlyn said...

What a great story. It is wonderful that the cake makers met. I think Mondrian would have enjoyed this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails