This amazing confection comes all the way from Calgary, Alberta. The editor of the newspaper I work at brought back three tin-foil wrapped packages of this stuff to our office yesterday, directly from his trip back home. His mom kindly made Puffed Wheat cake for us and in a matter of minutes, it was gone.
My late mother used to make a similar treat: Rice Krispy squares, but she always added a square of unsweetened chocolate to it. This kind of reminded me of that.
- Combine butter, corn syrup, sugars and
cocoa powder in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. (Very important)
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour over puffed wheat
- Mix well and press into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Wet hands work better than greased hands to handle the
stickiness so just moisten them with a bit of water.
- Chill and cut into squares. Yum!