Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wedding Cake 101

Instead of posting a finished cake, I thought I'd try photographing the process. I see from these photos that I should have taken a few more as I was doing it, but I was so in the moment that I forgot. At any rate, here is what a wedding cake looks like at the start. This is a 10-inch cake that is actually one and a half cakes iced together to make 3 layers.


Then you ice the outside of it.


The top of the wedding cake was an 8-inch round cake, cut into three layers and iced.


Before placing the smaller cake onto the bottom cake, I inserted 8 lollipop sticks into the bottom cake to support the weight of the top cake.


Shells were piped around the edges of the cakes. I also placed the bride and groom to see how much room there'd be for roses...and generally how the cake was going to look.


I had piped red roses out of buttercream. These were to match the bride's red dress -- and apparently they matched perfectly! I froze them to make them easy to handle, and then placed them around the perimeter of the cake.


I piped some small, green leaves around the roses and voilĂ ! The cake is done.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Ronna!

Knatolee said...

An excellent tutorial that explains why the cakes I make always look like crap! :)

Anonymous said...

How do you get it to the reception? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

Francine from IL said...

That comment at 9:13 am was from me, Francine from IL. :-)

Two Minute Takes said...

Lucky Bridge and Groom to have such a talented friend! Looks great.

Two Minute Takes said...

Bride! Sorry about that, lucky Bride!

Jenny said...

Wow! Those red roses are something else. It'll be a shame to cut up that gorgeous cake.

Ronna said...

Francine from IL: I was lucky that the mom-in-law to be picked up the cake and took it to the reception. Delivery is always the most nerve wracking part of making a cake!

Jack D'Mestiere said...

Where's the gravy?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails