Friday, September 25, 2009

Native Plant Walk

On Saturday, my friend Peggi and I will be participating in a Native Plant Workshop. Peggi will give a talk on native plant identification and I'll be demonstrating how to make soup with morel mushrooms. There will also be a fellow discussing First Nations' use of native plants and herbs as medicine.


In addition to that, there'll also be a field tour, which will be taken at a Girl Guide camp nearby. So we figured we'd better check it out before the actual walk took place.


There were all sorts of neat things in the woods...this mushroom...


...which, by the way, I WON'T be using in my soup!


There were tons of high bush cranberries, which even the birds won't eat. Who actually eats these I wonder? Yuck!


Peggi pointed out this interesting plant called Vervain.


Many dragonflies were buzzing about that day.


The great thing about this location is that it has a good path through the woods which ends at the edge of a lake. Here is Peggi digging up some water plant's roots.


One of the nicest things about the walk in the woods was Peggi's homemade peach pie at the end of the day.

6 comments:

Knatolee said...

Peach pie is the best and that one looks fabulous. See, you're making me hungry again!!

Addison Dewitt said...

...more food.

frannie said...

But what's wrong with those cranberries? Are they poisonous?

I notice there's only a LITTLE slice taken out of that pie. Surely you had more?

Elisabeth said...

Hummmmm....pie!

Ronna said...

Fran, the high-bush cranberries aren't poisonous but are very, very astringent tasting. Olive wrote me a note and let me know that she had tasted high-bush cranberry jelly, made for savoury dishes (she said it went well with meat), and said it was delicious. So maybe I should rethink how I feel about those berries?
And yes, Addison, I do have a food obsession. But didn't you see Barbra on Oprah yesterday? She photographs her food when she travels. I am not alone!

Anonymous said...

Ronna, here in Texas the mosquitoes would be the same size as that dragonfly! Just kidding, but we too have a lot of dragonflies lately because we finally got some rain--woo hoo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails