Friday, January 14, 2011

Hot Cocoa, Plain & Simple

I made myself a cup of hot cocoa last night and thought of my mom. She always made it this way. No instant Quik for us! Do you make it this way?
Add one tablespoon of pure cocoa to a saucepan.


Add one tablespoon of sugar to the pot too.


Add enough water to make a sort of syrup. Stir like crazy to make sure it's mixed well.


Boil the syrup for a minute or two to cook it together.


Add a cup or so of milk -- enough to fill your mug.


Stir to heat through.


Serve and enjoy!
Once in the middle of the night when we were little and there was a thunderstorm, my brother and sister and I gathered in the living room and watched the lightening and clapped our ears at the thunder, while sitting on the piano bench. My mother magically appeared with hot cups of cocoa and we enjoyed the rest of the storm together before heading back to bed.

9 comments:

Tracey said...

Yum! I'll trade you a cup of fresh juice (from my juicer, of course!) for a cup of hot cocoa :)

P.S. Thanks for sharing the memories that go along with that cup of cocoa!

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

Awesome memories! I remember the days of homemade cocoa. You can't beat it!

Knatolee said...

You had a very cool mother!!

Gordon makes me cocoa like this. :)

Lauren said...

Should't this be one of your 100 things to eat? I like this cocoa best, too. I have tried all the fancy ones, including the chocolate shavings that you melt in hot milk (good but too rich for me). Sophia likes the Mexican cocoa called Abuelita; it is a bit spicier because of the cinnamon in it, but you make it with milk (not water) and it is nearly perfect, too. I also like a couple of marshmallows in there, just to gild the lily. You?

Elisabeth said...

Your mother was one in a million!
I kind of make my cocoa like yours, except I mix the cocoa, sugar and about 1-2 TBSP of milk together in the cup to get out the lumps before pouring hot milk over it.

Alana said...

Yup, this is how I make it too! Except I use stevia or splenda in lieu of the sugar. Delicious. In fact, I just may go and make a cup now!

Marcia said...

Why don't I remember that? I remember the cocoa but not the method... and I really remember the thunderstorm!
xoxo

Victoria May said...

You forgot the marshmellows!

Addison Dewitt said...

Are you one of the Von Trapp children?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails