Thursday, October 8, 2009

Carrot Soup with Pistou

I found this recipe in last week's Ottawa Citizen's food section. Since I still have a half row of carrots in my garden...


...and my basil patch is on the verge of being nipped by frost, I figured I'd make this carrot soup with pistou. Pistou is like pesto but doesn't have any pine nuts in it.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 3/4 lb. carrots, peel, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons flour
5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup olive oil


Place 2 tablepoons oil in a large pot and over medium heat, sauté carrots and onions for 5 minutes. Mix in the flour and cook 2 more minutes.


Stir in stock and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the carrots are very tender.


While the soup is cooking, make the pistou by placing basil, garlic and cheese in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Pour in oil and pulse until well incorporated.


Purée the soup with an immersion blender until smooth; season with salt and pepper.


Pour hot soup into bowl and top with a generous amount of pistou.

Very easy to make and very delicious! I highly recommend it. Let me know if you try it. Would love to hear what you think.

3 comments:

Marcia said...

Yum! I am going to try this recipe tonight. Thanks, Sis! xxoo

frannie said...

I made both but never thought of combining them. Next time I'll try. Thanks for the recipes.

Jack D'Mestiere said...

Can streaming video be far behind? We hope not!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails