Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Prickly Pear Cactus, Two-Ways

While visiting our friends Roberta and Phil in Florida, Phil showed me the fine art of making Mojitos. Lots of limes, mint and icing sugar.


These ones were going to be extra special with the addition of the fruit (the pear) from a prickly pear cactus.


Phil peeled and then mushed the fruit really well. Isn't the colour amazing?


My job was to divide it amongst the four glasses and to keep muddling.


White rum, sparkling water and ice were added and yum-o! We had pink Mojitos!


Meanwhile, the rest of the prickly pear cactus, called "Nopales" was waiting.


Richard and I cleaned off all the little needles...


...really, really well.


And Phil barbecued them as one of the many sides with our steaks. Tasted a bit like grilled peppers. Very cool.

3 comments:

Billy Banana said...

Hey, didn't the Flintstones used to eat that stuff?

Anonymous said...

Hey,Ronna, I've got some of those in my backyard. I'll send ya some! (There's also a thornless variety--less work!)

A bird in the hand said...

uh, save one for me, would you. Mojito, that is.
I'll be right over....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails